On Jedis and schooling

As a closet science-fiction aficionado, I’ll respond to the metaphor contained in Rob’s response to my first post.

The metaphor of the mission of Jedi Knights, particularly of master Jedis such as my green-skinned wrinkled Yoda, refers to maintaining harmony through the universe. Not a bad ambition, is it? It is true that two characteristics related to Jedis are those of tradition and patience.

Although the word “tradition” seems to carry with it a negative connotation, I would argue that there is still a time and a place for long-standing traditions. The core value of respect in schools is predicated on values of all major religions, as well as belonging, responsibility, and the desire to learn.

Patience seems to be a value, however, that is no longer honoured. As educators, we seem to caught between providing students with a broad knowledge base and the notion of mastery. In our Core Curriculum, elementary teachers are responsible for creating differentiated instructional opportunities in order for students to reach their objectives. Perhaps the virtue of patience is no longer an option for time-strapped educators.

Perhaps my Padawan learner will recall what happened to the impulsive “high-speed” character in the Star Wars movies. Is change for change sake the best course of action? Perhaps if Anakin had collaborated with his mentor instead of blindly following ill-advised “quick fixes”, outcomes would have been more positive.

In the same vein as the Master Jedi, I speak to the need for pause and reflection. Use the blog, Luke…use the blog.

2 thoughts on “On Jedis and schooling

1. You seem to have answered the response well. I would also add that in today’s rush-all-the-time-too-busy schools, it’s imperative that we posture the reflective approach.

As well, when I”m asked “are you busy?” it’s difficult to respond in kind without leaving the impression that you don’t have work today. I try to respond to that question with, “Never too busy for you”.

2. Pingback: Ideas and Thoughts from an EdTech » We’ve got too many consultants